HELP SUPPORT US

Northern Nevada Literacy Council is a duly register non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization. Our primary source of funding is through competitive grant applications with Title II of the Workforce Investment Act and the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act. This meets 88% of our annual budget needs. The remaining 12% is met through NNLC’s fund raising efforts.

NNLC is here for our community, our businesses and our residents.
Your support helps us continue offering these services.

DONATE NOW

Why Give?

Thank you for your interest in the Northern Nevada Literacy Council (NNLC). Our organization is passionate about helping adult learners achieve their educational goals. NNLC provides completely free classes for adults who are preparing to take the test to obtain their Certificate of High School Equivalency (HSE, formerly known as the GED), free English as a Second Language classes, and Citizenship classes for foreign-born adults. In addition, our Career Pathways program provides a career readiness advantage for our students, helping them to obtain a vocational job or prepare for additional post-secondary education.

We are passionate about creating opportunities for adults through direct interaction and education. Our program has the ability to change the lives of our students and their families by helping them achieve a new start and furthering their opportunities.

This is what you can make happen with a grant of $1,000 to $10,000:

  • Increase off-site class opportunities. Our goal is to expand the HSE enterprise beyond our office location and work with businesses in other low-income neighborhoods and areas of town. Being able to spread beyond our confined location would provide the opportunity to reach more students and affect other low-income areas in northern Nevada. One class operates for 12 hours a week for 48 weeks.
  • Create a HSE (GED) scholarship opportunity for our students. The HSE is an exam students must pass to obtain the certification. The cost for the exam is $65 per student, per exam. One of NNLC’s goals is to create a scholarship opportunity to assist with either the total or partial cost of the exam, in order to ensure student completion and success. Many NNLC students are financially unable to take the HSE because of the exam fee.
  • Additional funding for our graduation ceremonies. All students who complete and pass the HSE go through a graduation ceremony at NNLC. We invite the families and friends of the graduates, as well as the local media, to these ceremonies. We have ceremonies every six weeks, which equals 12 ceremonies a year. Additional funding for these ceremonies would help us provide light refreshments at the event, as well as letting students continue to wear graduation gowns and keep their graduation tassels as a reminder of their accomplishments.
Please contact our Executive Director Susan Robinson about these exciting grant opportunities at director@nnlc.org or 775-356-1007, or visit our website at nnlc.org.

NNLC is here for our community, our businesses and our residents.
Your support helps us continue offering these services.

DONATE NOW